Sunday, September 16, 2012

Creede


I decided to go to Creede. It’s a small town formerly known for silver mining. Now, it will be known at least a little for being one of the places that they filmed the movie The Lone Ranger, starring the ever amazing Johnny Depp as Tonto. I perused stores which displayed articles about how Johnny came in, bought crystal skulls, and signed autographs in THAT VERY STORE! Hooray!
View from the main street

Attempt at artsy shot

I love small towns

Do you see that car at the end of the row? It was crazy. Two people, several dogs, antlers, etc.
One of the first things I did when I arrived was go to the town museum. It was cheap to get into, and had many interesting artifacts from the town’s history, such as the town’s horse-drawn hearse and, naturally, a large quantity of mining equipment. On my way out, I asked the guy running the museum about the loop that one can drive around and see the old mines. He handed me a map which explained all the stops, told me it was $1.85, and then tried to sell me old pictures and get me to come to Bingo night. As I left, the guy mentioned that to go around the loop counter-clockwise would put me up against some steep hills, so I should probably take it clockwise. Ha. Yeah right Mr. Museum guy. I may be a girl, but I am one tough cookie!
Heading up the loop

More loop

Old mine

Old mines

Abandoned buildings

Old building

More stuff

Trees

Mountains. I think I took this by sticking my hand out my sunroof.

It was really pretty.
In my opinion, the hills were not that bad. They were steep, to be sure, but I’ve seen steeper. The tight canyon suddenly opened up into an amazing landscape of old mines dotting the hillsides. A stream flowed next to the road. I found myself frequently stopping to take pictures. I took my sweet time around the loop.

View from the old mine you can visit

Towards the end, I stopped by a mine that a trucker bought and opened up for people to come and buy rocks and things. It was beautiful.

Old mine building


Tourist stop


Look at who is in this picture! So cool! 


Look who is buried on the loop!


It was a really nice day!

1 comment:

  1. Cool, sis! I just saw this. That looks like a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete