Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Adventures of what now?

When I was little, I really wanted to be a boy. I wasn’t as strong of a tomboy as some little girls are, but I dreamed of doing big things and having adventures, and it seemed like boys got to do that more than girls. I wanted to be an astronaut- pilot- cowboy- explorer- tornado chaser- paleontologist- archeologist, and so much more. In fact, I used to tell my mother that I wanted to be everything in the world except a mommy. I was scared of what childbirth entailed. I have now discovered many, many careers that I wouldn’t care to do, and I do want to become a mommy, so that’s all good news.

I was also very imaginative, so I really WAS an astronaut- pilot- cowboy- explorer- tornado chaser- paleontologist- archeologist at many points throughout my childhood. But my most memorable persona came to me one night in the bath. I had never seen any of the Indiana Jones films, but I came up with a very Indiana Jones-like character named Magango Man. Magango Man lived in the jungle and fought injustice and such things. After my bath, I assembled Magango Man’s ensemble, because frankly, everything is better if you have an outfit. I wore my dad’s fedora-like cowboy hat, the trench coat I had acquired in order to more accurately pretend to be a detective, and the lasso I had gotten at family camp. I don’t recall playing Magango Man very often, but I did do a little Magango Man show for my sister when she was sick, so Magango Man remained in our hearts and minds forever.

Since then, I have discovered that being a woman is actually quite nice, and I’m happy with how God made me. I still love having adventures, so there will always be a little Magango in me. I actually discovered that I didn’t make up the word Magango also, so that was exciting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Magango . It makes me happy that this battle occurred in Africa. Anyway, there you have it.

4 comments:

  1. Didn't your mother ever take a picture of Magango Man? I would like to see...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she did at some point, but I have to find it. . . . I will post it if I ever do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaylee, may God continue to stir up your adventure for His purposes. Love you!

    ReplyDelete