Friday, July 15, 2011

Dating on the internets

After much debate, I decided to join a popular online dating site. I had always determined that I would wait until I was 30, and if I was still single, then I would join. But my best friend suggested that I join. I was initially offended. “I still have it going on! I’ve not yet lost ‘it!’” I thought. But then I realized that I literally knew no single guys who were my age. Plus, the club scene isn’t so much my thing. It’s sweaty and gross and if I’m going to be sweaty and gross I want to be doing something interesting like hiking or frolicking through a meadow rather than dancing while trying to keep my butt and boobs away from grabby drunk undergrad guys. Ultimately, I decided I had nothing to lose. When I saw a commercial for a free communication month while watching TV alone one weekend night, I decided to take the plunge.

I set up my whole profile, all the while believing that I would never get matched with anyone. The next morning I was shocked to see I had 6 matches. Two had asked to start communicating with me. It sort of snowballed since then. I was a little embarrassed at first to admit that I had joined the internet dating scene, but after a time, I realized I didn’t care. As I started to communicate I started to learn that there are some great guys out there. Also, some really weird ones, which I will discuss at a later time.

Overall though, I have found the experience to be valuable. I have learned to talk to boys, and have even rejected a couple outright without being excessively cruel. I’ve been on dates and discovered that I’m not so desperate as to throw myself at the first guy who comes along. And I’ve discovered that I would be willing to date a guy if I really like him, thus disproving my theory that I have a crippling fear of commitment.

I’m not going to renew my subscription at this point, but I’ve been glad for this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment